The Nation reported on 15th January 2009 that WIPO has awarded His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej the WIPO Global Leaders Award. It is a great honour for the Thai peoples and for fellow ASEAN member nations. It shows that the Thai monarch is more than a mere figurehead, actively participating in finding ways to better the livelihood of his subjects.
His Majesty the King is said to be the owner of 20 patents and 19 trademarks. He studied science and engineering at Switzerland before switching to law and politics. The Royal Projects have initiated over 4,000 projects dedicated to improving the lives and wellbeing of subjects of the Thai monarch.
The more well known achievements of His Majesty include:
- Royal Rain project, related to the causation of artificial rain;
- Chaipattana Aerator, an effective and inexpensive waste water treatment system;
- Water purification devices;
- Techniques for making acidic soil arable;
- Technique for conversion of palm oil into palm diesel.
- The Nation, 15 January 2009. His Majesty The King As Innovator and Inventor. URL: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/01/15/opinion/opinion_30093252.php. Accessed: 17 January 2009.
Patent, Trademark & Industrial Design Registration
Suites 2A&2C, PO Box 9, Wisma Pahlawan,
Jalan Sultan Sulaiman,
50000 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: +603 22730688 / 2033 / 6033
Fax: +603 22738033 / 9033
21-1-1, Jalan Medan Putra 3,
Medan Putra Business Center,
Bandar Manjalara, Kepong,
52200 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: +603 62752511 / 2588
Fax: +603 62758511