I listened to a podcast…
And then there was the Second World War
|An example of an early vocoder|
The SIGSALY Patent
Some other patents from Homer Dudley
- Privacy system – Patent No. US 2213320 A – Filed on 10th September, 1938. Published on 3rd September, 1940. “The present invention relates to systems and methods of transmission with privacy. It is appreciable to line wire or radio transmission, and to the sending of speechmessages or any other type of signals which comprise a band of frequency components such that the signal wave band can be subdivided into narrower subbands.” (This could be the SIGSALY patent.)
- System for the artificial production of vocal or other sounds – Patent No. US 2121142 A – Filed on 7th April 1937, and published on 21st June 1938. “One of the objects of the present invention is to provide an arrangement for the synthetic production of speech or similar sounds and, particularly, to provide an arrangement of this type in which the desired vocal or other sounds may be produced by manual operation quite independent of any vocal control by the normal vocal mechanism of the human body.” (This should be the “voder” patent. It was demonstrated in 1939.)
- Production of artificial speech – Patent No. US 2243526 A – Filed 16th March 1940, published 27th May 1941. “The present invention relates to the artificial production of speech or similar sound waves and to such artificial production in connection with a system for analyzing speech or similar waves.”
- VOIP, cheap international calls or free Internet-based calls owe their origins to his work on speech compression. I tend to call my family a lot using Viber / Line / Whatsapp whenever I go for holiday, just because I can.
- Text-to-speech (TTS) technology also owes a lot to his work on text synthesis / artificial voice production. I tend to share webpages to “Voice Reading” on my Android phone. I then listen to the webpages being read aloud, while I do whatever I am doing.
- Vocoders are being used today by musicians to distort their voices. I love music, and that guy made these robot-like voices possible.
Patent, Trademark & Industrial Design Registration
Suites 2A&2C, PO Box 9, Wisma Pahlawan,
Jalan Sultan Sulaiman,
50000 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: +603 22730688 / 2033 / 6033
Fax: +603 22738033 / 9033
21-1-1, Jalan Medan Putra 3,
Medan Putra Business Center,
Bandar Manjalara, Kepong,
52200 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: +603 62752511 / 2588
Fax: +603 62758511