Donald Trump is now the President-Elect of the United States of America
Mr Trump’s Promises Regarding American IP in China
- He pledged to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPPA), which had not been ratified by the USA;
- He would direct the Secretary of Commerce to identify violations of trade agreements by foreign countries which harm American workers (i.e. putting them out of jobs), and use both American and international law to end these violations;
- He would instruct the Treasury Secretary to label China a currency manipulator;
- He would bring trade cases against China in the USA and the WTO due to its alleged subsidy of exports;
- Use all Presidential powers to remedy trade disputes if China does not end its allegedly illegal activities, including imposing tariffs.
- Since China joined the WTO, nearly one-third of manufacturing jobs since NAFTA and 50,000 factories have been lost (seriously? 50,000?);
- Almost half of the USA manufacturing trade deficit is the result of trading with China;
- The U.S. International Trade Commission predicted that more than 2 million jobs could be saved in the USA if American IP in China was better protected.
So will he really do it?
What I Think
Patent, Trademark & Industrial Design Registration
Suites 2A&2C, PO Box 9, Wisma Pahlawan,
Jalan Sultan Sulaiman,
50000 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: +603 22730688 / 2033 / 6033
Fax: +603 22738033 / 9033
21-1-1, Jalan Medan Putra 3,
Medan Putra Business Center,
Bandar Manjalara, Kepong,
52200 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: +603 62752511 / 2588
Fax: +603 62758511